James L. Hyer Esq.
888-892-9072 (Toll Free)
James L. Hyer is currently an attorney admitted to practice law in the Courts of the State of New York, Southern District of New York and Eastern District of New York, and is also a trained mediator. James has successfully assisted clients in a wide range of areas including discrimination and civil rights violations, matrimonial and family court actions, personal injury claims, sophisticated estate planning, estate and trust litigations, real estate transactions, land use board applications, business and commercial law transactional work and litigations, and litigations and criminal matters, administrative hearings and LGBT issues. James L. Hyer was selected for the prestigious American Institute of Family Law Attorneys 10 Best In Client Satisfaction Honor in 2015.
Among the many litigated cases of distinction that James has worked on is Penny D. Taylor v. Joseph Rosa, No. 76026-04 (Bronx Sup. 2007), which significantly changed the law of Paternity By Estoppel less than a year after the New York State Court of Appeals, holding In the matter of Shondel J. v. Mark D., 7 N.Y.3d 320, 853 N.E.2d 610, 820 N.Y.S.2d 199, 2006 N.Y. Slip Op. 05238, that ruled in favor of Paternity By Estoppel. James has also successfully represented clients before land use board and was instrumental in the fight to save the historic former residence of actor Burgess Meredith through advocacy before land use boards.
James was recently awarded the 2014 Westchester County Bar Association Leadership Award.
James dedicates his pro bono efforts to provide free legal assistance to those in need, focusing upon the LGBT community and those with housing issues. Several years ago James founded a legal services program in the LOFT Lesbian Gay Bisexual and Transgender Community Center in the Hudson Valley, providing a forum for speakers to discuss legal issues and for individuals to meet with attorneys at no cost to discuss legal concerns. James is also a member of the Westchester Residential Opportunities Attorney’s Panel where he assists individuals facing housing discrimination.
Prior to practicing law, James coordinated a fair housing project for a not-for-profit in collaboration with the Civil Rights Bureau of the New York Attorney General's Office geared toward investigating, locating, and prosecuting fair housing discrimination. In this position James was successful in assisting in the identification of numerous real estate agencies engaged in pattern and practice housing discrimination. James also worked as the Director of Constituent Services for a Member of Congress and was an Adjunct Professor at Ramapo College of New Jersey for five years.
James has been recognized for his dedication to community service by numerous organizations including the Rockland County Crime Prevention Bureau, Rockland County American Legion, Ramapo Police Department, Rockland County Meals on Wheels, Boy Scouts of America, Moose International, Together Our Unity Can Heal, Inc., Rockland County Office of Fire & Emergency Services, New York National Guard.
As a youth, James earned the rank of Eagle Scout and later served as an Assistant Scoutmaster. He is therefore, dedicated to the Scout's lifetime principles of on his honor to his best; to do his duty to God and his Country; and help other people at all times.
Areas of Practice
- Matrimonial and Family Law
- Real Estate Transactions
- Estate Planning
- Wills and Trusts Litigation
- Business and Commercial Law
- Employment Discrimination
- Housing Discrimination
- LGBT Issues
Certified Legal Specialties
- Environmental Law Certificate
- Mediation Certification
- New York, 2006
- U.S. District Court Southern District of New York
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of New York
- Pace University School of Law, White Plains, New York
- J.D. - 2005
- Ramapo College
- B.A. - 2000
- Honors: Omicron Delta Kappa - National Leadership Honor Society
- Honors: Phi Alpha Theta - National History Honor Society, President
- Honors: Pi Sigma Alpha - National Political Science Honor Society
- Major: Political Science
- Minor: Public Policy
- “Stewardship of Historic New York State Cemeteries”, Westchester County Bar Association Law Journal, Spring 2005
- “A Recent Decision Changing the Law of Paternity by Estoppel: Penny D. Taylor v. Joseph Rosa”, New York State Womens' Bar Association, Women's Bar News, Vol. 19, Number 5, July/August 2007
- “The Westchester Human Rights Commission: A Convenient Forum”, Westchester County Bar Association, Westchester Lawyer, Vol. 2, Number 6, June 2015
- “Protecting Confidential HIV Related Medical Records in the Discovery Process”, Westchester County Bar Association, Westchester Lawyer, Vol. 2, Number 8, August 2015
- “Discovery Order Non-Compliance: A Recipe For Sanctions & Relief Per CPLR §§ 3126 and 3124”, Westchester Women’s Bar Association News, September, 2015
- “Point of View: Obergefell v. Hodges and Issues of Judicial Civility”, New York State Bar Journal, September, 2015
- “Column: Noncompete Agreements: An Effective Tool to Protect Business Interests”, Westchester Business Journal, September 28, 2015
- “The Basics of an Enforceable Prenup,” Westchester Rising Newspaper, October 8, 2015
- “Disinheriting a Spouse: Rules in New York State,” Westchester Rising Newspaper, October 15, 2015
- “What to Expect When Buying Residential Real Estate,” Westchester Rising Newspaper, October 23, 2015
- “What to Consider When Preparing a Last Will,” Westchester Rising Newspaper, October 30, 2015
- “What to Expect When Purchasing a Co-Op,” Westchester Rising Newspaper, November 13, 2015
- “Supplemental Needs Trusts: A Vehicle To Protect Disabled Children,” Westchester Healthy Family Magazine, Spring/Summer 2016
- Fair Housing Continuing Legal Education Seminar, Pace Law School, 2007
- Adjunct Professor, Ramapo College, 2005-2010, courses on public policy, environmental policy, political science.
- Westchester Residential Opportunities – Fair Housing for Co-ops, February 2014
- LOFT Silver Connections Senior Organization – LGBT Estate Planning Strategies, September 2014
- Committee On Women In Law – Diversity Lecture on LGBT Issues, New York State Bar Association, December, 2014
- Iona College Family Therapy Program, Matrimonial and Family Law Fundamentals, February 2015
- Mt. Kisco Fire Department Estate Planning Seminar, March 2015
- American Library Association & Federal Reserve Smart Money Seminar on Estate Planning & Tax Planning, April 2015
- American Association for Daily Money Managers, “Effective Use of a Power of Attorney”, August, 2015
- "Pace Law School Land Use and Sustainable Development Law Society", November 9, 2015
Professional Associations and Memberships
- New York Bar Association, Member House of Delegates
- Westchester Bar Association, Member Board of Directors
- LEGAL, LGBT Bar Association of Greater New York, Member
- Loft, Lower Hudson Valley LGBT Community Center, Member Board of Directors
- Westchester Residential Opportunities, Inc., Attorneys Panel, Member Board of Directors
- Lambda Peer Support Services, Inc., Facilitator
- Moose International, Member, Past Junior Governor
- Rockland Crime Prevention Bureau, Past Member Board of Directors
- Rockland Affordable Housing Commission, Former Commissioner
- Suffern Revitalization Committee, Former Member
- Suffern Foundation, Inc., Past Member Board of Directors
- Town of Ramapo Auxiliary Police, Past Member Board of Directors/Lieutenant/Trained Peace Officer